COVID-19 and North Sea Link Interconnector Construction works:
The North Sea Link interconnector is a key part of the country’s critical infrastructure, bringing affordable carbon free electricity to UK consumers. The joint venture partners National Grid and Statnett are, together with our contractors, working to deliver the NSL interconnector project in full compliance with government Covid guidance.
The welfare of all our stakeholders is our top priority. All our people who need to continue working and travelling to our construction site are doing so under appropriate health and safety measures to protect themselves and others. Everyone working at site is tested for Covid-19 on a weekly basis.
Works in East Sleekburn converter site:
- The cable link between the NSL converter station and National Grid’s existing substation has now been completed. National Grid Electricity Transmission’s (NGET) new substation bay has also completed construction, which has allowed for the installation of the cables to connect the two sites.
- The HVAC cable route has been fully reinstated, with the planting of new vegetation forming part of our landscaping works.
- All high voltage equipment and site operating systems have been fully installed, and are currently undergoing commissioning.
- The project’s remaining civil works are now entering the later stages of completion. These works include the final layer (wearing course) of the convertor site tarmac road, as well as the relocation of the NSL Energy Education Centre.
- We are continuing to engage with a wide range of local stakeholders to minimise as much disruption as possible. Recently, NSL provided a project update to East Bedlington Parish Council, and will continue to keep local stakeholders informed as the project nears completion.
I would like to thank you once again for your patience and understanding during the construction phase of NSL. If you have any questions about our ongoing work or would like to discuss the project in more detail, please call us on 0800 298 0405 between 09:00-17:00 Monday to Friday or email us at [email protected]